Thursday 15 January 2015



SLEEP THAT BURNS (aka the thoughts of  Doc Martin)
**********************

Vive La Difference, non, Vive La France!

             My second short story is a story of something that has been going on forever, man's inhumanity to man and on this occasion it was played out, yet again on the streets of a city, a Capital city, a Major city, a city that like so many throughout Western Europe, including the streets of Britain have  become  places of simmering tension,  that have brought yet another act of terrorism that all are able to see unfold on everything from the National News to YouTube! 
                 When these 'acts' take place in towns and cities in all  these countries that have taken pride, and indeed encouraged the sharing of everything from religion, customs, food, art, music whatever and yet now like so many places, there are those who wish to use this freedom for their own ends. They are trying to create their own havens for terror, for fear and all because of the fear and terror going on in another town, another city, another country. 
 To you and I, it makes no sense, why would anyone, how could anyone do such things, in layman's terms, why shit on the door step of the very nations who have allowed you to integrate your ways of life, with that of their own!  Surely by performing such atrocities, by creating an atmosphere of mistrust that is brought about by the more radical elements that lurk and breed just below the radar of these countries, that they themselves have chosen as their home, where the vast majority of the men and women who have fled oppression, wish to live and mix peacefully, to start a new life, is beyond any form of  comprehension, except in  the twisted minds of their powers that be. It is so sad that there are people within our world that are hell bent on spreading their mantra of violence wherever, whenever and at whatever costs!
**********************





The Beacon Of Democracy And Freedom Of Speech.
*************************************************





Is this for real?!
******************

            When something so evil happens, something that defies all human logic, something that is beyond the thoughts of anyone who sees and hears, someone who is very aware of what goes on in the world through normal eyes and ears. This is normal day to day life for most,  not a war zone, this is earning a living, not dodging bullets, why are they doing this here? Do I do nothing, I have no time anyway, my mind is elsewhere, it is usually in a far, far better place but that's life, my life, this is the real world coming bursting out of the T.V, this is C.N.N and YouTube in my face and in my back yard. I am are aware of evil, of course I am, I know it exists, I know it is always there but I just...carry on, aware and yet unaware, it is someone else's problem, I shall watch it on the News later, this is my life, it won't happen to me.

***************************

               There is a guy in the street running towards me, that's an umbrella... right? It looks like one, or is it pipe -benders, is he a plumber? No it's one of those joke ones that looks like an AK-47 right, like the ones you can get on Amazon or somewhere online right, it's really an umbrella...right?

Is that fireworks, did you hear them too?
...but its daylight, of course it's not fireworks, don't be so stupid, it can't be, whoever it is letting them off must be crazy, what would be the point? My simple logic, comforts me until it happens again.
You must have heard it that time, that sounds like a gun going off! A gun? What am I thinking but why is that guy running this way, and why is he wearing a mask? Why is there another man running with him now, and why is he wearing a mask too, what a dumb ass place to leave their car...
It must be Halloween but that was months ago, it's a windup, it's a stunt like those things you see on YouTube, it must be... but it looks so real and those people who are screaming, they must be in on it too, but it's not very funny now...

That screaming, there is no laughter accompanying it, it's getting louder and that's real screaming and those fireworks are definitely gunshots, I've never heard gunshots for real but if I had, they would sound like this for sure. It's fucking crazy out here, got to keep down and keep quiet, there's a guy on the floor over there, what's he doing, he looks like he's hurt! What the fuck is that?! Is that blood, he's been shot! Oh my god, oh my god, that guy on the floor, he's really hurt, fuck, they shot him, they fucking shot him, he's on the floor, what did he say, did you hear him?! What am I saying, nobody is listening, they are all scattering for cover... My throat is getting dry with fear, the words are coming out but nobody seems to be listening, I clear my throat and start to sweat. They are shouting something about God, something like God is great, I think someone just said, I don't know, they are just shouting  at whoever is listening, fucked if I know... Hang on a minute, that other guy in the mask, the one with him, he has stopped, he's bending over that man on the floor, I think he's the police or security, holy fuck...no...NO!...They shot him...they shot him, this is no joke man, they just fucking shot him, this is for real, stay down, just stay down!  I soon realise that I've company behind the low wall where the bikes go, most have been strewn about the floor, obviously left to fall by their fleeing owners. I call to the guy  next to me, he's petrified and does not hear me at first, "what are they saying?" I call to him, he is numb with fear, I kick him and repeat my question, he's finally acknowledges me and responds "God..they keep saying something about God..." "God, what about God? Whose God?" He falls silent, looking fearful. I'm scared...we're all scared, I'm shitting myself but we just need to stay down. The shooting is getting more sporadic and I notice that the hooded men have gone into the building, still shooting. We have got to go now, while they're in there, "are you hurt?' I say to him, "no... I don't think so" he stammers. Quickly we move, their car is facing away from us, going in the opposite direction seems the best choice, after a beat we both run, and run, feet pounding the pavement, adrenaline and gunshots reverberating around my head, don't think, just run. As we race for freedom, my only thought is suddenly that this is being filmed, not by a camera crew with state of the art gear, but by someone like me, normal and unassuming, with his iPhone, this will be on YouTube within the hour, I look around at windows, in cafés and shops, I see the lights of phones in people’s faces, the faces of fear... I have a nervous giggle to myself but I keep on running and running, this is my town, my city, whatever it is , it's not my fault, it's not my problem...is it?

2 comments:

  1. This combines adrenalin and stream-of-consciousness with awareness of the absurd. There is something utterly chilling about that "My only thought is suddenly that *this is being filmed*" and your last line carries the feeling out very well. This is our meta-reality; the individual experiences life but only up to the point where he's compelled to document it. This aspect of modern existence baffles and amuses and intrigues and horrifies me. Even before the Paris killings happened, I found myself wondering what that famous Algerian French writer Albert Camus would say to us about the times we live in today... In any event, for god's sake (whose god's, any god's) keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doll and thanks for your views and comments, believe me, I value them very much!! I think my next bit of yakking will be something to do with 'trust' and how our trust in people all around us 'aint what it used to be and 'aint what it should, sad but true! X

    ReplyDelete